What Factors Affect the Cost of Kitchen and Bathroom Remodels?
We frequently have customers call in and ask how much we would charge to remodel their kitchen or bathroom. This really isn’t a question we can answer, though, because every project is so different, and there are so many different factors that can affect the price you’ll need to pay for kitchen and bathroom remodeling in Pennsylvania.
With that in mind, here are a few of the biggest factors that will affect your pricing:
- Layout: If you’re not doing much to change the layout of your kitchen or bathroom, then you’ll save quite a bit of money. The more you change (especially locations of plumbing, electrical, etc.), the more you can expect to have to pay for your remodel.
- Flooring: Certain kinds of flooring materials will always cost more. For example, luxury tile, stone and hardwood floors will cost much more than most kinds of vinyl. There are many different style options, and you don’t necessarily have to pay top dollar to get the look and durability you want for your kitchen or bathroom floor.
- Cabinets: The cabinets you select may end up having the largest impact on the cost of your kitchen or bathroom remodel. Stock cabinets are typically going to be the cheapest, because they’re not being custom designed for your home, they’re usually lower-grade construction and the sizes and configurations are limited. There are also semi-custom and custom cabinets, which have higher grades of construction and are designed with your specific space in mind.
- Countertops: How much square footage of countertop space do you need, and what type of material will you use? These are the factors that will influence the price of that portion of your kitchen or bathroom remodel. Most homeowners who get mid- to upper-end kitchens or bathrooms prefer natural stone countertops, such as granite or marble, or synthetic countertops, like quartz. Pricing for these types of countertops varies, but in general you can expect to pay more for stone countertops than for, say, laminate or wood.
- Appliances: Of course, if you plan to upgrade all of your appliances and fixtures as part of your remodel, then that’s going to significantly add to what you can expect to pay. You don’t necessarily have to purchase luxury appliances, but obviously it will add more to the price of your remodel to purchase new equipment than if you were to continue to use your old ones.
- Lighting: You’ll probably have a mixture of different types of lighting in your kitchen or bathroom remodel, including recessed and under cabinet lighting. Generally speaking, LED lighting will give you the most longevity, but those bulbs are much more expensive than standard incandescent bulbs, and they get even more expensive if you’re using dimmable bulbs and switches.
These are just a few examples of some of the factors that will go into the cost of kitchen and bathroom remodeling in Pennsylvania. If you have any additional questions about how we price out our kitchen and bathroom projects, we encourage you to contact WSL Incorporated today, and we’ll be happy to answer them!