If you are considering remodeling to enhance your home’s resale value, don’t forget about the exterior. Improving curb appeal is essential to respecting your neighborhood and making your home appealing to potential buyers. If people cannot get past the mess outside, they are never going to see the improvements you made inside. Fortunately, you do not have to do a major yard makeover just to enjoy the benefits of curb appeal. Here are five ideas for improving your curb appeal in Pennsylvania:
- Create a welcoming space: If you have a front porch with room for chairs, plants and tables, create a welcoming space for visitors. An inviting front porch isn’t just necessary for a home on the market—it will also give you another quiet space to read or talk to your neighbors. Add a wooden swing with cozy cushions and a couple of chairs to make that front porch a bit more inviting.
- Don’t fear color: Many homeowners are conservative with outside paint colors and limit themselves to the typical grays, whites and beige. Don’t stay in that rut—be bold! Navy blue and pink make an excellent contrast and will help you stand out in a sea of identical homes. Even a small splash of color, like green trim on a white house, will add to curb appeal. If it’s time for a new roof, choose a different shingle color for another pop of color.
- Embrace wood accents: Besides color, natural wood also changes the appearance of your home for the better. Use natural unpainted woods for window frames and doors. Do the same with window planters. Use treated wood so it stands up to the elements, but keep it natural for a brighter appearance that will definitely turn heads.
- Outdoor lighting: If you spent time installing a new stone walkway or planting flowers, don’t let your hard work go unnoticed after the sun sets. Purchase solar lights to illuminate walkways and highlight the best of your front yard. Besides adding aesthetics, it’s much safer to use a lighted walkway as you approach your lighted front porch. Injuries from tripping or slipping on ice can be painful and devastating. Added light will help prevent these incidents.
- Fix your driveway: A cracked and damaged driveway will detract from everything beautiful about your home. If you still have a gravel driveway, it’s time to replace it with something better and more attractive. Stamped concrete presents well and lasts for the long term. You can add patterns and texture, or simply enjoy a clean uncracked driveway. Either choice will improve curb appeal and help your home stand out.
Improving curb appeal is one part of creating a warm and welcoming Pennsylvania home. However, it may also be time to upgrade your kitchen, bathroom or some other area of your home. WSL Incorporated offers custom home plans and remodeling services to Pennsylvania clients. We are there through the designing and building stages. Call us today if you would like to discuss ideas and receive an estimate.